xnmarket

The Female Fashion Power List: Rosie Assoulin On Her Fashion-As-Art Design

All this month, glamour.com is spotlighting incredible female designers—from the new class of leading women (in our March issue, on stands now!), to the innovators shaking things up, to the iconic names headlining Fashion Month. To show our support, our own EIC will be wearing head-to-toe woman-led brands all during New York Fashion Week. Follow along on our instagram @glamourmag, and join us on March 8, International Women’s Day, in wearing your favorite brands made by women.

After generations of lone female designers (Donna! Miuccia!), there are now so many women creating such great things. Meet a member of spring’s class of leaders, here with two women who inspire her, in our Female Fashion Power List.

Rosie Assoulin’s personality-rich clothing isn’t for those who want to go unnoticed. (Seriously, good luck blending in with the looks below.) And given the 30-year-old’s track record—winning last year’s CFDA Swarovski Award for Womenswear; dressing the red-carpet and street-style sets—plenty of women want to be seen in her designs. The Rosie résumé:

rosie-assoulin-watermark
The Fashion-As-Art Star, Rosie Assoulin: Known for: Bold color, drama—and keeping the Man Repeller street style ready. Pictured with close friends Claire Distenfeld, left, owner of Fivestory boutique, and Man Repeller founder Leandra Medine, All clothing, Rosie Assoulin, Paul Andrew flatforms.

On why she became a designer:
“I did event planning before. I loved it, but there was no way to push that other thing [fashion] down. I had this if/when/then thinking about it: ‘Oh, I’ll start when I can achieve that.’ So I spent a long time killing that dream. I don’t know what exactly gave me the fire to give it a go, but it had a lot to do with Leandra [Medine] and Claire [Distenfeld, opposite]. They have this unshakable confidence, like, ‘Why shouldn’t I do this?’?”

On her design aesthetic:
“We have everything from very voluminous, generous, cozy clothes to cutout pieces that are more revealing. I feel like I’m a version of all those women at any different time. I have to want to wear each piece, and not just see the model or celebrity in it, but see myself in it.”

On the influx of female designers:
“I never thought of women being under-represented, maybe because my mother-
in-law [jewelry designer Roxanne Assoulin] was always an example for me. She had three kids. She did it all. And I saw how she did it.”

On work-life balance:
“Women inherently have this strong ability to balance lots of things. Alber [Elbaz, her former boss at Lanvin] used to say, ‘A woman has to be the perfect mother, the perfect sister, the perfect friend, the perfect worker, and have the perfect hair and the perfect dress.’ That’s an internal dialogue for a lot of women. But at the same time, we just get it done. I like to think of things expanding instead of contracting an identity: Becoming a mother was a very healthy thing for my career. It gave me clarity and taught me how to have boundaries. Before, I could go into a black hole and stay up all night sewing. I can’t do that anymore, so it makes me more efficient.”

On growing the business:
“Right now, I can’t stop thinking about baby clothes. [Assoulin is pregnant with her third child.] I don’t know that it’s going to be a great money-making venture, but I feel pulled in that direction. I’m always pulling from my own life experiences.”

Fashion editor: Jessica Sailer Van Lith

Get more extras from our March issue from cover star, Gwyneth Paltrow:

Photos: Victor Demarchelier


Source: http://feeds.glamour.com/c/35377/f/665038/s/4d707253/sc/14/l/0L0Sglamour0N0Cfashion0Cblogs0Cdressed0C20A160C0A20Croseie0Eassoulin0Einterview/story01.htm
The Female Fashion Power List: Rosie Assoulin On Her Fashion-As-Art Design The Female Fashion Power List: Rosie Assoulin On Her Fashion-As-Art Design Reviewed by Unknown on 2/08/2016 Rating: 5

No comments:

xnmarket
Powered by Blogger.